Thursday 21 July 2011


We have the opportunity to participate in a volunteer program while we are here called Shawco. Shawco helps students in the townships with their schoolwork, sports, computer program, arts and crafts and other such things. We took a tour of two townships yesterday, and everyone there was so very happy we were there! The kids would run alongside the bus and wave and dance for us, they were so cute! It was very sad to see the way some of those people live. Many are in houses but many are also live in little huts and crates and would use posters or anything else they could find to make 4 walls. It really makes me appreciate having a roof over my head and good food to eat. I definitely want to volunteer with Shawco or some other program that does similar work. After the townships, I had to pre-register for my classes, which include 2 psychology courses (one clinical and one social) and a history of South Africa course. We all attended a free wine and chocolate tasting in the afternoon where the travel company on campus told us all about the trips and events they hold. I will be signing up for cage diving this Saturday and a wine festival the next weekend! We are also looking into the spring break trip that they do which will take us up to Botswana and Victoria Falls, the highest bungee jump in the world, white water rafting, a safari and so much more! Besides getting my camera stolen in the first week and having some issues with hot water and electricity in my house, I am having the best time in cape town and am looking forward to the many adventures in my near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment